Sunday, May 18, 2008

What on Earth is Ἀρετή?

I’m very fond of metaphors and idiomatic expressions and I try to use them when ever I can.

The reason I called this blog Ἀρετή (an ancient Greek word pronounced Arete) - Excellence is slightly complicated.
I wanted something that would merge both my professional life (Software Engineering) and my non-professional life (Studies of the Classics, Astronomy, History and Science).

At the cost of being pretentious, I have found that this wonderful word - Ἀρετή - encompasses a lot of my personal philosophy of life.

The word means excellence as a value - living up to your potential, “Being all you can and should be”.

Other expressions I like are:

  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
  • It’s not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.
  • The Golden Mean
  • Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

I have found that in the long term, co-operation and mutual aid has helped me advance my goals faster and more efficiently than had I just blundered forward without any regard towards my co-workers.

I don’t pretend that I live a blameless life or that I am a perfect role-model, however, I do make an effort to go through life realizing that it’s a team sport…

I would be happy if this site helps others solve problems they have encountered, broadens their horizons and teaches them something new or even if it just lets a few slow minutes pass enjoyably.

Robert

No comments: